Friendly Thames b. 1818, and a second, older Friendly

General TTFA discussions

Friendly Thames b. 1818, and a second, older Friendly

Postby RS0029 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:06 pm

Hi, Gang,

In looking for the origins of Friendly Thames (aka Friendly Thomas Thames according to his son Charlie Asbury Thames' 1939 AL death cert) who was born in 1818 SC who lived by 1842 in Alabama (when he married Lurana Sturdevant aka "Reighna" on the 1850 census in Monroe Co, AL), I searched SC newspapers on genealogybank.com. I found 3 articles, all duplicates of the same thing, being reprints of the same resolutions naming election managers throughout the state for the October 1824 elections:

"For Prince William's parish. Two places of election; at Captain Williams' muster ground, managers, Isaac Ellis and Friendly Thames; at Pocotaligo, James Gregorie and John McKinley--two days at each place; to elect two Representatives. The managers to meet the third day at the house of Isom Peeples, to count over the votes and declare the election."

This shows up in the following papers:

Carolina Gazette (Charleston, SC), August 28, 1824 issue, page 2
Carolina Gazette (Charleston, SC), September 25, 1824 issue, page 1
Southern Chronicle (Camden, SC), September 1, 1824 issue, page 1

In 1824, the Friendly we all know was only 6 years old.

Friendly's headstone at Polar Bridge Cemetery, Monroe County, Alabama has been added to Findagrave.com. The name on the headstone is "Thomas F. Thames". It's easily accessible by search on that website. A son's information is also recorded on the same stone, Abner "Abby" J. Thames. Abby can be seen on the censuses with the family also.

Charlie's death cert along with the joint headstone confirm that Friendly was indeed Thomas Friendly or Friendly Thomas.

There was a Prince William Parish in Beaufort County, SC that is a census district for the 1820 census. I found a Samuel Thames on page 7:
Males 10<16 - 1
Males 16<26 - 1
Males 45+ - 1
Females <10 - 2
Females 10<16 - 1
Females 45+ - 1

That makes Sam, assuming he was the oldest person in the house, born 1775 or before. If the enumeration is correct, he's not Friendly b. 1818's father.

In 1830, same place, I find the following:

Samuel Thames
Males 50<60 - 1
Females 5<10 - 1
Females 15<20 - 1
Females 50<60 - 1
This tells us Sam was born 1771-1780

Right under Samuel (which doesn't mean a lot because the surnames are grouped by first letter of last name, all the T's are together)
William F. Thames
Males <5 - 2
Males 30<40 - 1
Males 50<60 - 1
Females 5<10 - 1
Females 20<30 - 1
The middle initial "F" intrigues me. Could it stand for Friendly? Might he be the election manager?

Anyone have ideas/info on our election manager Friendly? Does anyone have any information on this Samuel? Or on Friendly b. 1818?

I find an Amos Thames in Early County, GA 1830, who does have a son who fits Friendly b. 1818. Did our Friendly b. 1818 spend any time in GA before heading to Monroe and Conecuh Counties, Alabama?

Just looking for clues or to eliminate further research if someone else has already solved this.

Thanks,
Becky
RS0029

Return to Thames-Tims Family Discussions